Tuesday, April 25, 2006

On The Pedestal

I've been doing a lot of cleaning lately. It's embarassing to admit how much certain parts of the house needed it. Particularly the kitchen. The range was charred, the fridge sticky, and the fossilized fingerprints on the cupboards weren't budging. Into this mess came two cleaning products that saved my sanity. (And perhaps my life, as the random mixture of household chemicals I was using before these beauties came along was probably toxic.)



Krud Kutter is amazing at getting up, well, crud. Like that greasy stuff that collects on the hood above the stove, trapping hair and dust and who knows what else, until it's thick and sticky and immovable. Immovable for everything but Krud Kutter, that is! It even dissolves those baked on drips on the burner pans. My sweet mother-in-law gave us a bottle of this stuff a few years ago. When that ran out, I bought a gallon jug of it because I never want to be without it again.

I'm not the first to praise Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser. All I have to add is that it's all true. Scuffs and marks that have resisted half-a-dozen cleaning products and acres of elbow grease were quickly (and easily!) rendered obsolete by this little baby. I honestly thought I'd have to repaint my kitchen cabinets, until I tried the Magic Eraser on them. I have no idea how it works, but you really just add water. It's amazing. (And disturbingly fun.)

I realize that my enthusiasm for these products may be a little excessive. I'm so used to being disappointed that I'm not sure how to act when a consumer product exceeds my expectations. It disorients me. (Or maybe it's the fumes from the oven cleaner.) Be that as it may, you really should try these out. And let me know if there are other products I really need to know about. Both of the above were recommended by members of our studio audience, so I bet there's more where those came from.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Diana-
The best thing for cleaning toilets with our HORRIBLE Iowa City/Coralville water is THE WORKS. Because apparently my husband thinks that the toilet is suppose to have this ring around it, and that it just magically goes away when it's cleaned, and that the toilet should always have a yellow/green look to it. Anyways- when Doug was born, Rob's mom came to town and started cleaning. She bought this stuff- poured it in BOTH of our toilets, let it sit for an hour or so-- not really sure-- postpartum depression and lack of sleep to blame-- but it worked! So great that I said HOLY CRAP and Dean then proceeded to repeat HOLY CRAP for a couple of days. So THE WORKS toilet bowl cleaner is AWESOME. Not all THE WORKS stuff actually works, as the name would imply. I tried something else-- can't remember what-- but it indeed DIDN'T WORK.
So there ya go!
Lindsay

MMA Lady said...

I have to agree with you about the Magic Eraser. It really is magic!

Boss said...

Lindsay -- Holy crap that's funny! Sam's almost at that stage. It's time for me to be very careful!

Thanks for the recommendation on The Works. It seems like I've tried some of their stuff and haven't been impressed, but I may have to give the toilet cleaner another try. Cause they don't clean themselves, ya know! :)